Pamukkale Travertines, my Pamukkale trip review, where to visit in Pamukkale Turkey
Pamukkale Travertines: The natural site of Pamukkale was on my mind since I first saw the famous pictures. It was my third holiday in Turkey and we managed to arrange our road trip as to include Pamukkale on our touristic map.
We got there after many hours from Istanbul to Pamukkale and booked 1 night of accommodation in Pamukkale. It was August and I got a funny feeling after opening the door of the car: it seemed like I’ve never felt the sun as hot as it was on that day. The shade didn’t help much either. The car said 40°C (104°F).
How many days to spend in Pamukkale
Let’s get to the thermal pools. Don’t imagine the thing is huge. When seen from a distance it looks like a white spot on the landscape. Just a few hours is enough for you to see all of it, so you don’t actually need to spend the night there, there is not much to see or do besides the visit to the thermal pools. As we had a car, we chose the entrance on the top of the hill, paid a small entrance fee and started walking through the ruins of Hierapolis. After passing through the ruins and the palm trees you get to the famous thermal pools. The water that emerges from the thermal springs is transported to the head of the travertine of Pamukkale and deposits calcium carbonate. That’s why the landscape is soo white.
Now, you descend the white hill and climb it up again. That’s about it. There’s also an Ancient Amphitheater and Cleopatra’s Pools but we didn’t go there. Now that I’ve seen it, I don’t see the point in going back there again, it seemed like one of those places that you have to see with your own eyes, but that’s it, for me once was enough. Just to say “I was there, I saw it”.
10 Useful tips for your Pamukkale trip
1. Visit the Pamukkale Travertines in the morning or after 5 pm. The afternoon is way too hot there.
2. Wear sunglasses and a hat or something on your head.
3. Get a LIGHT backpack, not too heavy, you will need it to put your stuff in it while you descend.
4. Don’t take too many electronic equipment with you, the calcareous water might damage it.
5. But still, take your camera, you will want to remember your trip
6. Take your swimming suit, it will be helpful as you descent and you will get wet
7. You are not allowed to wear any kind of shoes inPamukkale Travertines, so put them in your backpack.
8. Don’t forget the sunscreen lotion, otherwise, you might get sunburns.
9. Get a bottle of water with you, as not to get dehydrated.
10. You can have lunch at one of the restaurants at the top of the hill before you descend or after you climb the hill.
Highlights of Pamukkale trip is Pamukkale Travertines, Pamukkale thermal pools, ruins of Hierapolis, Ancient Amphitheater and Cleopatra’s Pools